R. B. Stall High School opened its doors for the first time for the 1962-1963 school year and included only grades 8-10, with an enrollment of not quite 500 students. Stall was named for its benefactor Mr. Robert Barnwell Stall, Sr. (1893-1990). The high school was officially dedicated on March 25, 1963, although it was in operation from August 1962. Mr. George W. Fricks was the school's first principal and served from 1962 until his retirement in 1975.
The first class graduated in 1965; this was the first year Stall includedgrades 8-12. Enrollment passed 1000 for the first time in the 1968-69 school year; for 1974-75, it exceeded 1700. Beginning the school year 1975-76, eighth graders became part of the middle school program, leaving Stall, from then on,to include only grades 9-12. That year's enrollment was over 1400.
The long-awaited football stadium for Stall High officially opened on August29, 1982. A new wing and facade for Stall High School, located between Stall and Alice Birney, was completed for the 1985-86 school year, nearly doubling classroom space and eliminating some of the trailer classrooms. In addition, a renovation of the current school was completed by the 2005-2006 school year.
Stall High School Principals
George W. Fricks
James G. Davidson, Jr.
Lynda F. Davis
This information was compiled by Kenneth D.White, a teacher at Stall High School from 1966 until his retirement in 1998,and was first published in the program for the groundbreaking ceremony of the new Stall High School to be opened in 2010.